Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm writing this from Larry's hospital room. He asked me to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Larry had a pretty decent weekend, with his pain fairly comfortable. His pain increased significantly Sunday evening and they had to increase his meds to the point where he slept most of the day on Monday. His surgery started around 4pm and he wasn't back in his room until 8:30pm. It took quite a bit longer than I expected, but it went well. They were able to repair 4 of the fractured vertebra instead of the 3 that they had planned, which is great. His pain today seems to be less than it has been, and we are very thankful for that.

The issue now is the tremendous swelling in his abdomen. An ultrasound was ordered this morning and there was nothing indicating a problem, so they still believe that the narcotics are the cause of the sluggishness in his GI system and thereby the cause of the swelling. They are trying to decrease the pain meds in order to help his system to "wake up" and start moving again. This is a double edged sword in that one problem can be as big as the other, so they are working diligently with the anesthesiologists to get it all coordinated and worked out. At this point the Dr. doesn't see Larry going home as early as we had hoped - at least not until he is alert and the pain is controlled.

Larry is up and in his chair today and anxious for improvement now that the kyphoplasty is done. His attitude is better today, too, and we're very, very thankful for that!

Sorry for the delay in updating since last week. Hoping for a better week that allows for more time (and energy) to keep you all informed!

Thanks,

Terri

5 comments:

Tina Bartlett said...

Terri, we continue to pray for you all, for strength, healing and comfort from the Lord.

Tina

Holly said...

Thank you for the update, I've been praying for you all. I'm so glad they were able to fix more of Larry's vertebrates than they thought! That's great! I will keep praying for pain control, and for fast healing so Lar can come home! Please pass on our love and prayers to Larry and the boys!

Much love,
Holly

Andrew said...

I'm very thankful that Larry's surgery went well and continue to pray for him and you all too.

Andrew

paula said...

Please give Larry a hug for me and tell him that we miss him around here. Please let me know if there's anything either of you need. Otherwise, we'll just keep praying.

"Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them"–Matt. 18:20

Wesley III said...

Larry & Terri, words cannot express how much you guys mean to me. I feel so bad that I have not kept in contact with you guys. My family and I have been praying for you since we found out just a few days ago. We had no idea. I am presently trying to catch up on your blog and read back to the beginning and figure out what is going on. I will try to come for a visit if you like. Please feel free to email me or call me Pastorwfpiii@Hotmail.com / 336-308-3122. You guys are thought highly of by my family. We will continue to pray and if you guys need anything please do not hesitate to call or email us. We love you and pray for a miracle and that right soon.