Saturday, April 5, 2008

After several rough days, Larry is more alert today and seems to be in less pain. He has had two fairly restful nights and we are so thankful for them! He does sleep most of the time, but with all the meds in his system I don't think there's much of an option for him.

I have requested a different pain method for Larry and I'm hoping that all of his doctors will agree when they confer Monday to put in an intrathecal pump. This is a catheter that is inserted in the lumbar spine, most likely, and will thread up through his spinal column into the thoracic spine. There will be a disc-type of container that will be just under the skin in his abdominal area that will hold the medication. Everyone I've talked to feels that this will be a very good option for Larry. This should allow him to come off of the IVs and lessen the amount of narcotics, yet they will be more effective with a smaller dosage. Having said all that, I will insert my "disclaimer" that this is my non-clinical explanation as I understand it!

I don't remember if I mentioned this previously, but they stopped Larry's chemo due to a drop in his white cell count. As of tonight the count is just about high enough to start the treatment again, so we're hoping for the go ahead to begin again the first of the week.

As I type this, Larry is sitting in his recliner in his hospital room watching Carolina vs. Kansas with my cousin, who will spend the night with him. We joke about all the sleepovers Larry's had while he's been up here - probably more than he had even as a child!! He has had several visitors this week and even though he doesn't always stay awake, he enjoys the visits.

Please continue to pray for rest, a sufficient increase in his white cell count, and that he does not pick up any kind of infection since it's been so low.

Thanks for caring,

Terri

10 comments:

Luke, Avery, Monroe's Nanny said...

You have the idea correct about the pain pump, although I'm not sure it will do as far as the thoracic spine. Usually, just having it in the intrathecal space disburses enough of the narcotic to keep the person comfortable. I dealt with quite a few of them when I worked at the pain management surgery center. The patients loved them!

What a bumpy road y'all are traveling! We surely are in prayer for Larry, but for you & the boys too!

We love you all & care more than you know!

Love,
Linda

Peggy Adams said...

Hi Larry -

Market is "up and running"...
The guys just came in to set up a/v for La-Z-Boy and shared your news with me.
Just NOT the same without my
"Wide Open" and Happy Larry here
to do my a/v and set-up!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family throughout the coming days and weeks. I wish you the best and hope to get by to see you.
Take care. We are all thinking of you.

Many Thoughts,
Peggy Adams
High Point Country Club

Kim said...

Hey guys. Sorry its been so long since I posted. We are still praying daily for all of you. Terri, it was so good to see you a couple of weeks ago. Hope to get by this week and be able to see Larry this time too. Give Larry a hug from us. Love you guys. Kim

Meme said...

Bless your hearts. We are hoping that the pain issues will be resolved this week. It is so comforting to know that others are praying isn't it? We have experienced the peace of God that is beyond comprehension and hope that you have too. We love you and are praying for you. Carolyn

paula said...

Good Morning Larry! Just thought I would drop in to say how much we miss & love you. I have complete faith that in God's time, you will be healed. You are always in my prayers.

"...If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

Andrew said...

Larry,

It was good to see you for a little bit on Friday. We are praying for you a whole lot. The guys in my Monday morning Bible study asked how you are doing and we spent some time praying for you.

No matter how this week goes, I hope you are very encouraged that Jesus is with you through all of it, and that you continue to find his strength enough for you.

Andrew

Holly said...

Life continues on like a rollercoaster ride doesn't it?!?! I hope this new pain control method does the trick for Larry. Please know that we are continuing to pray for peace, comfort and healing! I will also pray that the Lord will continue to show you how much He loves and cares for you! Hang in there!

Love you guys so much!

Holly

Andrew said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you today, Larry, and for the rest of your family. I'm here for you - whatever you need. And I'm praying that today you all will find Jesus to be all the shelter, strength and joy that you need.

Andrew

Unknown said...

Hey Terri,

Thanks for the updates; I've been reading along for a while now and praying with you that each day would be a little victory over the previous one and that God would keep sending you some little winks from heaven.

Please tell Larry hello for me and that I'll be happy to be one of the film crew onboard should he decide to go sailing around the world again!! :)

Hoping and praying with you guys for a successful procedure.

Brandon

Harry and Marilyn said...

Dear Terri,
Harry and I are so sorry for all that you all are going through right now. We are glad to hear that he is more comfortable now.
We are so sorry that we have not heard until yesterday, the extent of Larry's illness. Please tell him that we love him and are praying for him for ultimate healing. We have known Larry since the early 70's and you since the late 70's. We remember all the great times we've had together from working in youth group, to all the productions we have done together, to all the Super Bowl parties at the Millers.
Thank you both for being so faithful to the work of Christ.
Our love to Ginger and the rest of your family.
Love and prayers,
Harry and Marilyn Love